Yesterday we shared our response to the news that Suzanna de Baca is stepping down as CEO of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland (PPH.)
While announcing her departure, de Baca shared that Planned Parenthood of the Heartland will soon be no more.
Your eyes do not deceive you — Planned Parenthood of the Heartland will be defunct after June 30, 2018. Iowa and Nebraska Planned Parenthoods are merging with Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota into a new affiliate, Planned Parenthood North Central States.
You may recall that as recently as 2010, Planned Parenthood of the Heartland had 29 clinics just in Iowa; several in Nebraska, Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma.
For decades, “Iowa was considered the ‘crown jewel’ of Planned Parenthood Federation of America,” Sue Thayer, former Planned Parenthood clinic manager, shared with us.
Why wouldn’t they have been?
- Under Jill June’s 30 year tenure, they “led the way” on RU-486 chemical abortion testing in the mid-1990s.
- When a deceased baby was found in the recycling center near Storm Lake in 2002, Planned Parenthood was the only agency who refused to hand over patient information, despite a subpoena; deliberately initiating a national controversy regarding the privacy of medical records.
- Upon watching a television program, Ms. June masterminded webcam chemical abortion. This is when a doctor speaks with a young woman via computer, then pushes a button, and a drawer pops open containing the abortion pill cocktail, wherever she is located. She takes the first set of pills in the clinic, pockets the second set to take, alone, days later. Essentially, aborting at home, school, the mall, wherever she might be. (To this day, this is happening in Iowa, Minnesota, Maine, among a few other states.)
- Until Iowa law changed in 2017, abortion was available here, through all nine months, for virtually any reason.
Unsurprisingly and for far too long, abortion leaders both here and around the country, believed Iowa truly was their “crown jewel.”
But over the years, Iowans from corner to corner of our great State, fought back. They took to the sidewalk outside abortion clinics, to county fairs, the Legislature, their churches, schools and streets. They stood up at city council meetings and legislative forums, held town-hall meetings and parades anywhere Planned Parenthood was or wanted to be.
Iowans had had enough!
- As a result, Planned Parenthood clinics began to close–20 between 2010-2017!
- Clinics slated to open never did.
- Abortion rates dropped to historic lows, nearly 50% since 2007!
And then even the unimaginable happened.
Planned Parenthood of the Heartland imploded!
Don’t be deceived by their attempts to put a positive spin on this merger. If Planned Parenthood of the Heartland was still the behemoth they once were, they would never have agreed to such a plan.
So while we REJOICE in this MASSIVE VICTORY, we can’t take anything for granted. We must continue to stand up against this new affiliate, Planned Parenthood North Central States.
We cannot stop speaking the truth about LIFE — for our unborn boys and girls depend on us.
For their lives,
Life Right Action